Copyright protected 2009 -2016. Please email should you wish to use any content of this blog at shelterblanche@gmail.com


Friday, October 16, 2009

THE FARM.






Ah, if there's one place I love to visit, is my brother's farm.

Just so laid back, no frantic packing for,oh, what to wear for a dinner at a restaurant or fancy pj's in case someone might see me as I wake up to run to the shower in the morning. It's just pure chilling!

I like to bake on the farm, my little treat for the family and my sister-in-law is so relaxed about her kitchen and really doesn't mind. (She's an awesome cook!)

There's an outside shower that is the highlight of my evenings! Hot water running over your body on a late spring evening is just the best!

The picture above, is of my husband and nephew feeding an orphan calf just 2 days old.









I have put together some of my recipes especially dedicated to the farm!

STEAK CASSEROLE. This steak comes direct from the farm.....it could not have been any fresher.... it was so succulent!





Ingredients:


1 kg steak cut into cubes


2 brown onions.


4 tomatoes


1 litre beef stock.


4 carrots cut into fair size chunks.


Fresh parsley and thyme or a tsp of Italian Herbs


3 cloves of garlic


A dash of Worcester Sauce



Method:


Fry off the onions in 1 TB LS olive oil.Add tomatoes.Add the steak cubes and brown.Add the herbs,Worcester Sauce and stock.
Lastly add the carrots.
Simmer on a low heat until tender, about 1 and 1/2 hours.

Enjoy!







UMNGQUSHO:This is a South African peasant style dish that we cook using mealies and sugar beans.




Ingredients:



1 cup Sugar Beans (or speckled beans)



2 cups Samp (White Beans)



2 onions



3 ripe tomatoes



1 thick piece of shin meat (bone in)



5 potatoes



2 tsp salt



1 beef stock cube



Salt and Pepper to taste.



Method:



Soak the mealies and beans overnight and drain.Fry onions, tomatoes and shin and salt in a little oil.
Add your mealies and beans. Cover with water and add stock cube and bring to the boil.



Turn heat down and simmer for +- 3 hours or until soft.



Adjust your salt and pepper.



Add the potatoes.



Simmer until the potatoes are soft.





Finally: My Fool-proof Cheese and Onion Marmalde Muffins:




Ingredients:



2 cups cake flour



4 tsp baking powder



2 Tbls sugar



4 Tbls melted margarine



250ml milk



1 egg



1/2 tsp salt



Method:



Sift dry ingredients together. Mix the melted marg with the milk and egg.



Beat and add to the dry ingredients. Mix lightly.



Add 1 cup of strong cheese (cheddar) and 2 tblsp onion marmalade.



Spoon into muffin pan.



Bake at 220degree C for 15 to 20 mins.





I'm ending off for now as the rain has finally arrived! We are in a drought at the moment, so I'm going to make myself a cup of tea and sit and enjoy the rain from my favourite chair on my stoep!



See you soon!



Shel

No comments:

Post a Comment