Copyright protected 2009 -2016. Please email should you wish to use any content of this blog at shelterblanche@gmail.com


Monday, May 26, 2014

Beef short rib and this and that~

A robust meat dish .... Full of flavour to comfort you these cold winter nights!
We really enjoyed these caramelised ribs baked in the oven slowly for around 4 hours.
The dish needs all your love and care and it will turn out a hit.
I picked up my meat at the 2 Fat Butchers around the corner and my new favourite stop.
The 2 brothers are such great chaps and so obliging with how to get the best out of your joint ....they have free printable recipes to go!

Here's what a did with their recipe for short rib!



Ingredients~

Olive oil
6 thick cut meaty beef short ribs
a large head of garlic, cut in half
1 tsp of puree of tomato
around 750ml good red wine..minus a glass for yourself!
1 litre of beef stock
150g chopped bacon
250g portabelli mushrooms, halved or button ones
sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Chopped flat leaf parsley
fresh organic baby tomatoes roasted with olive oil and honey

Method~
Preheat oven to 170deg C. Heat a deep sided roaster or heavy bottom casserole dish.
Add olive oil . Season the ribs and fry off for 10 to 15 minutes until browned on all sides.
Add the garlic, tomato puree and heat for a minute or 2 . Pour in the wine to de glaze the pan, scraping the bits at the bottom.. Bring to the boil and cook for 10 to 15 minutes until the liquid reduces to half, then add the stock to cover all the ribs. Bring to the boil basting the ribs.
Cover and cook in oven for 3 to 4 hours, basting now and then until the meat is falling off the bones.
About 10 minutes before the meat is ready, fry some bacon and add the mushrooms when bacon is crispy!
Roast the baby carrots for 15 minutes or so tossed in olive oil and honey. Drain the excess fat from the bacon, mushrooms and baby glazed carrots.
Serve the short rib topped with this mixture and complete by garnishing with flat leaf parsley!




Here are some photos from around and about my home~






 salmon, avo, pest and rocket on ciabatta!


beautiful lilies are some of the flowers I had arranged for the weekend~




I've been here only a short while
I've pruned, added, removed and dug over
a little fence adjusted
to keep my Chloe in..
all this has made me come to know
that there's no better place
than one's own sanctuary
one's own garden!
No matter how big or small !


some little collages to end! Have a great week.....


There's those words from that lyric of Diddy...
it  always stops me in my tracks...
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
Tell the World I’m coming home
Let the rain wash away all the pain of yesterday....



so much to be grateful for....just everyday things so many take for granted...  Shel

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely home and garden you have! the beef short rib looks so good!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty pretty and more pretty..are the small blooms Gaura?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by...it's so lovely to open my comments and see your gracious comments...
    Yes Monique its gaura....we have this pink one and white also grows well
    they have introduced smaller ones too...more contained..I'm trying to grow that at my entrance..
    perhaps one day it will flower too and I will take some photos..
    Really appreciate you leaving comments
    xx Shel

    ReplyDelete